Menu

Capital ex­pen­di­ture

In CHF million, except where indicated   2021   2020   Change
Fixed access and in­fra­struc­ture   428   438   –2.3%
Expansion of the fibre-optic network   555   519   6.9%
Mobile network   323   306   5.6%
Customer driven   64   76   –15.8%
Projects and others   272   260   4.6%
Swisscom Switzer­land   1,642   1,599   2.7%
Fastweb   649   629   3.2%
Other Operating Segments   41   44   –6.8%
Elimination   (46)   (43)   7.0%
Total capital ex­pen­di­ture   2,286   2,229   2.6%
Thereof Switzer­land   1,634   1,596   2.4%
Thereof other countries   652   633   3.0%
             
Capital ex­pen­di­ture as % of net revenue   20.4   20.1  

Capital ex­pen­di­ture climbed by CHF 57 million or 2.6% year-on-year to CHF 2,286 million, cor­re­spond­ing to 20.4% of net revenue (prior year: 20.1%). Swisscom Switzer­land accounted for 72% of capital ex­pen­di­ture in 2021, and Fastweb for the remaining 28%.

Capital ex­pen­di­ture incurred by Swisscom Switzer­land increased by CHF 43 million or 2.7% year-on-year to CHF 1,642 million, cor­re­spond­ing to 19.9% of net revenue (prior year: 19.4%). Swisscom invested CHF 53 million more than in the previous year in the expansion of fibre-optic broad­band in the fixed network and in the expansion of the mobile network.

Fastweb increased its capital ex­pen­di­ture by CHF 20 million or 3.2% to CHF 649 million. Measured in local currency, capital ex­pen­di­ture increased by EUR 14 million or 2.4% to EUR 601 million as a result of higher customer-driven in­vest­ments and higher in­vest­ments in the mobile network in­fra­struc­ture. The ratio of capital ex­pen­di­ture to net revenue consequently fell to 25.1% (prior year: 25.5%).